Thursday, August 5, 2010

Happy Independence Day BF!

It's Burkina Faso's vrai Independence Day here, but the festivities don't occur until December 11. Rainy season, ya know, everyone's cultivating... I don't know, I only half paid attention during our Burkina history lesson the other day.

Today I learned how to saw useful expressions about my health work in Jula. The CSPS is called dogotoroso aka chez le docteur. Except some of those o's are this different letter that looks like a backwards 'c' and is pronounced like the 'o' in 'bought'. A lot of the vocab is basically French words with a Jula accent, which works for me! The verb goes at the end of the sentence like German (from what I vaguely recall). It's interesting/hard. I have one fellow pupil in my class and we usually pick up each other's slack. When my LCF Auguste, (who is the sweetest guy ever, btw) starts speaking Jula at me, I just don't know what's going on half the time. Anyway, ça va aller... I'm slowly getting the hang of it. I plan to work really hard at Jula discourse when I get to site, because most villageois won't be fluent in French.

Also, shout out to Takiyah for bringing me my nalgene that I left chez juice bar!! I would die without you, you excellent friend! Read her badass blog everyone: http://tdharper.wordpress.com/?blogsub=confirmed#subscribe-blog

OK, also shout out to Ashley Faye because she's sitting next to me and won't shut the hell up, making me waste my precious Cyber minutes!

Tomorrow we get to make bouille with eggs, corn flour and oil that Takiyah so graciously purchased this morning on her way in to village where we had class all day. This bouille could nourish malnourished, but I believe we'll be eating it. All the better, because some of us just aren't eating enough here. I am not one of those people because my host sisters make delicious ass food!!

OH! Last night, I had to poop, so I took my lantern out to the latrine and peed. While peeing, I heard some noises like maybe one of the giant cows was walking nearby. I quickly realized, thanks to the shadow on the latrine floor, that this noise was in fact the beating of a bat's wings. I had no idea I was afraid of bats!! I think mostly I'm afraid of them flying up my ass, I don't know for sure. Anyway, I got the hell out of there and didn't poop til this morning. I'm going to try to schedule my bowel movements to not occur after sunset...

On that note, send me junk food, magazines, and other random shit. Mostly junk food and pictures and picture frames. :)

4 comments:

  1. I believe I made some Facebook comment a while ago about keeping us posted on your bowel movements, so thank you for the update!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bats fly around over our heads when we go out after dark at my parents cabin. I like them because they eat bugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My cats used to bring bats to the doorstep of my house i always wondered how they managed to catch them. miss you at twister man! Today some of the twister crew found underwear on the floor of scene 2 very odd!!! love ya!!

    ReplyDelete